23 March 2016

The Dark Side of Love/Marriage

My (lost) (female) Friend

He came out of nowhere,
Tall, dark and handsome,
A man beyond her wildest dreams,
He stole her heart in no time,
All she could think of was him,
And talked about him for hours on end,
I couldn't have been happier,
And listened intently to every word of praise,
Helping her with him as she has always done for me,
With words of advice and succour,
All this went on for months, with her opening her heart more than ever,
Pouring out to me, but hardly letting me in,
I could never blame her, she was all I had-
My best friend, but nothing less that that.
It was all fine till one day they spoke,
Expressing the love that they mutually had,
The last time we spoke was when she told me about this,
And there it severed the bond between us,
They would spend hours with each other,
Sunset after sunset, park after park,
With me on a lonely bench, sad and lost,
With a heart full of things to say but no one to talk to,
A void filled only by tears of sorrow,
And a drooping head with no shoulder to lean onto,
I pined for her like a child for its mother,
With every attempt ending in vain,
We would talk, but once in a blue moon,
A distance had set in like between pavements in a flood,
With sharing reduced to pleasantries,
And laughs to smiles,
Our talk had sunk from discussing deepest secrets,
To awkward conversations like those about weather,
I could hate none, blame none,
Perhaps this was merely a trick of fate,
Perhaps as you grow old, you can only love a few,
With your heart shrinking from infinite to a tiny tube,
Is wedding the only way to always be with a woman?
Is friendship too hard a cross for her to bear?
Is wanting to be her friend inappropriate?
Or does possessiveness only mean love?
I do love her, but only as a friend,
And all I crave is that the world understands that,
Can love be the only bond between a man and a woman?
Should I have pretended to have fallen for her, just to stay by her?
They say love changes a person - I don't know if it did her,
But it changed my life, by snatching my friend away.

An attempt at vicarious poetry, conceived during the evening on 23.3.2016 on the terrace of H13 B wing (7th floor), and written thereafter.

1 comment:

  1. How well you describe the loss of a real friend.
    Yes,that really hurts.
    The person with whom you spent hours discussing everything under the sun,simply fades into oblivion and coming to think about it, It really hurts.
    The loss of a good friend!😞

    ReplyDelete