31 December 2016

Mercy Killing

"Put me out of my misery," begged his eyes and lips,
While I stood by, watching him suffer
From within, up unto his tips,
He beseeched me for a favour,
That none would ask another,
While I stared, helpless, into his teary eyes,

His body burned and so did his soul,
Under flames that would never cease,
They blazed forth, consuming him whole,
Yet leaving behind, a little life to live,

Oh how could the lifeless inferno be so cruel,
I thought only the living could,
But this was no room for thought,
For he needed help and fast,

The heave from pain to ease,
Seemed a losing duel,
And any attempt to heal or cure,
No matter how pure,
Would only cause him agony beyond bearing,
And let him suffer for life,

I shuddered, holding the knife,
That'd both save and relieve that man,
And it slipped, wetted by my sweat,
My hand trembled as I took it forward,
Towards his wounded skin,

A stab to kill, I knew, would be,
A stab unto my own heart,
And though he'd be free from his wounds,
I would never be for life,

I cursed fate, that ugly god,
Which put me in this place,
Forcing my innocent hand to hold,
This bloody knife of choice,

I sought to run, abandoning him,
And this dagger that ruined my day,
I knew if I tried, I might save him,
And the other would free him too,

But the thought of putting him,
Through any more pain,
Paralyzed my limbs,

And I stood watching,
Not him but my knife,
That's already pierced my soul,

Time flew past us,
Precious time,
And I knew I had to act,

So I held it tight,
Turned my wrist,
And drew closer to him.

Written at 4:35pm at C504, H13, IIT Bombay

No comments:

Post a Comment