12 April 2017

Freezing to Death

I shivered in solitude,
My insides colder than the exposed outside,
Friendless and alone,
Upon an icy, barren farm,

My cries for help carrying into nothingness,
That filled this white expanse of ice,
I struggled, hard and in vain,
With none to sympathise, with me for all my pain,

I gave up, for it was a struggle futile,
As a momentary warmth filled my soul,
I turned for appreciation from the empty space,
While nature turned a cold shoulder to my pleas,

And there I stood, frozen,
My breath quietening all of a sudden,
In deference to the loud silence around,
That pervaded the entire surround,
The beats of my heart conforming, slowing down,
Draping my critter in an icy gown,
As the cold caught up, merciless,
With the tired thuds of my coronary footsteps,
Pinning my spirit and self down,
Preserving the look of my last frown.

Written on 5.4.2017. Edits made by 3:34pm on 12.4.2017 at C504, H13, IIT Bombay
I wrote this when i read an answer on Quora that had this picture on it:


1 comment:

  1. Barathy Shankar16 April 2017 at 01:42

    The state of the person in that situation is so well expressed.

    ReplyDelete