15 October 2017

As I Lie to Die

Sans the strength to move I lie,
As my name and identity choose to fly,
Leaving behind a curled critter,
With no hope of getting better,

The first to leave is the sense of smell,
That could taste the fragrance that dwells,
And with it, evaporates all interest,
Leaving behind, nothing but disgust,

It's followed by touch's sense,
That unique feel of skin on skin,
That sees and craves the touch of another,
Sans the need for eyes to decipher,

Then goes the power to taste of tongue,
Half dead when smell vanished,
A touch more intimate than that of hand,
That learns and knows beyond what's seen,

Now flees the sight of the eyes,
And with it, the world with all its lives,
Reducing my cries, loud and soft,
To pointless knocks on formless doors,

The last to leave is the ear's child,
Subtler than the subtlest sound,
That forms the soul of all my alert,
That formed from words, the stuff of thought,

I lie now, weak and still,
Knowing again I shan't stand or sit,
Thinking I'll see nothing but naught,
Listening to the moans of my quivering heart,

Its beats, they ring like the bells of the clock,
Ticking away ruthless with mercy not,
Hiding behind its thick, loud veil,
The face of silence the eternal wail,

I lie still, closing my eyes tight,
Seeking to see some form of light,
I knew all along, this journey was to come,
Why didn't I ever try to look within?

I walk ahead, not looking back,
For now, there is no more going back,
I walk ahead, timid and slow,
For there's all the time and nowhere else to go,

The heartbeat slows, my heart giving in,
And I strain the eyes that look within,
Shouldn't my self now be bitten and low,
Fading away, perhaps, quiet and sans glow?

But no, it shines with a light so bright,
Dancing within, in its own delight,
Who said I needed eyes to see,
Or ears for music and a nose to breathe?

As the critter I'd been now chokes and bleeds,
I walk away now, disentangled and free,
Oh mother, oh father, oh brother and son,
See me now, shining so bright like the sun,

I was never what we saw, yet being it still,
I was more the feeling, that sheer will,
I now walk free from bonds that never were,
Dancing in the joy that lasts forever.

4 comments:

  1. Raam that is such a phenomenal one.
    I am at loss for words to appreciate this poem.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very well put, the Truest of truths?
    More than metaphysical, philosophical the lines are not only intrinsic but also depict almost practical (?) , day to day happenings , so scientifically & natural in tenor... God bless u & ur pen (mouse)!!! Simply superb.. Almost universally not only appealing but that which has been and is happening day in and day out, here , there & everywhere.. globe wide... Congrats & khudos👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply outstanding Raam.
    You have expressed the simple truth which is so difficult for everyone to realise in the most beautiful manner.
    The clarity of your thoughts and words are amazing, Congratulations Raam.

    ReplyDelete