20 October 2017

A Psalm of Pain

Prison'd in this corpse of suffering and pain,
I writhed in agony, screaming in vain,
Shaking my limbs and closing my eyes,
Hoping if I didn't see, the hurt'd vanish,

Losing all sense of logic and thought,
I saw not the rational that I'd shed,
Nor the vanity that I so proudly held,
And praying to a nameless deity I'd ridiculed,

The hurt that came it consumed me whole,
Wiping away all sense, filling each hole,
It killed all sense of space and time,
Posing to hurt, forever, slaying my calm,

I loathed myself for wasting youth and health,
And vowed to cherish the rest of this wealth,
I made myself a thousand promises,
As I struggled to exist alongside my existence,

Unable to bear my existence I lay, awaiting death,
Struggling like a corpse alongside my breath,
Each inhale a struggle worse than the previous exhale,
As the urge to live turned stale,

The Transformation

Unable to run from my own self, I sat,
And in that moment I saw the truth flat,
It glared at me, this revealing sight,
That peace'd grow in accepting my plight,

And then, as I tried, my struggle slowed,
And, behind this pain, a quiet calm glowed,
It shone so bright, that the pain's wrath faded,
Drawing my to breath, now that it'd slowed,

The pain that came it hadn't yet subsided,
But it let me stay, to live by its side,
And I saw the world I knew, through eyes red,
A world that was lacking but yet still gilded.

The Doctor

Out came a man who knew what I had,
He spelt out the struggle with the perfect words,
Describing my pain in such stark detail,
He held my shoulder and spread a relieving tranquil,

He spoke such words of reassurance, clearing my dread,
Brandishing a dark drug that he'd named.
He saved me from that nameless struggle,
Restoring in me a state I could handle,

My eyes welled in grateful tears,
And I swore to stay at his feet for years,
He smiled a passive nod,
And turned and went on ahead,

Over time, my memory of the agony dimmed,
And the gratitude I'd had faded,
I forgot the promises I'd made,
And went on to live life like it hadn't happened.

2 comments:

  1. Just like that
    Gratitude fades as fast as we heal.
    Good one Raam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Raam.
    It is a beautiful reminder to be grateful for all the blessings in our lives.

    ReplyDelete