22 December 2017

Such is Life

Hiding within sheaths invisible,
They live a mystic life,
Crying out when needing help,
And fending for themselves when alone,

Knowing not, their name and form,
They seek to know what's around,

They smile and cry,
They fight and try,
Dancing with the waves of life,

They need another, they help others,
And claim to know and be known,
And yet they hide, from their own eyes,
In a darkness still unexplored,

Oh such is life, that fills their critters,
Spilling out as the truth,
From screams of pain,
And eyes when wet with love,

Such pain they bear, and yet they live,
Dragging their bodies along,
Fools at times, wise at times,
They wear their greying hairs,

So large and wise, yet small and meek,
They live to their own surprise,
Giving sermons of thought, of science and what not,
They bloom 'til they wither,

Ask them how and they know not how,
They say that such is life,

Oh what could it be, this wonderful gloom,
I know not what to say,
I sit, surprised, and don't utter a word,
I try but can't walk away,

'Prisoned in me, I struggle to breathe,
'Til I catch the shore of the sane,
I see in vain, I can't escape pain,
Nor the hungry jaws of death,

I see my doom, clear and bright,
But can't sleep 'til night,
For there's hunger and friends to feed,
And a conscience's strong drive,

So I gulp the fear and the need to know,
The need to sit and reflect,
Pushed, I move my exhausted feet,
And start another day's struggle,

Sit by me, and you'll hear my breath,
And me uttering these words,
These words I've heard them say,
For I know not, how they came,
Nor my eyes that see,

And yet I know, for I must go,
Else hell shall break loose now,
Ask me now, and you'll hear me say,
I don't know, such is life.

2 comments: